Before the pandemic, the hotel industry was considered one of the most alive, most relevant industries across the globe. However, with Covid-19 restrictions, life for those in the hotel industry has become ever more difficult, with many questioning their future in the hotel business altogether.
Yet there is still hope, and in this article, we’ll be focusing on all the exciting hotel jobs in Greece that you ought to keep an eye on.
First things first, are hotels in Greece open?
The summer season begins on the 14th of May 2021, officially, and from that day, hotels will be open for business. Of course, they will be respecting Covid-19 regulations and extra safety measures, but other than that, it will be business as usual. This is excellent news to those looking for hotel jobs in Greece.
While international travel has been at a temporary halt with all the new restrictions, people around the world are quite eager to get on a plane and just relax. This is why we can expect a safe, yet busy summer season at hotels in Greece. It’s also why you should be excited, if you were thinking about a job in Greece!
What hotel jobs in Greece should I consider?
Okay, so what exactly are we talking about when we say hotel jobs in Greece? If you’re uncertain of the career path that might await, have a look at the different jobs available below.
● Waiters - this is one of your best options, since it requires little experience or schooling beforehand. It’s also a career option that offers you room to grow and really work your way up the hotel business scale. It can also be a flexible job opportunity, if you’re juggling other commitments and trying to make some cash on the side. See Jobs for Waiters
● Barmen - another excellent career opportunity. While trained barmen have more opportunities, you can just as easily learn as you go. See Jobs for Bartenders
● Management - as with any other business, a hotel needs people in charge to overlook employees and make sure everything is running smoothly. Of course, for such a position, you’re going to need some skills and experience on your resume, but it’s well-worth the effort. See Management Jobs
● Animation - because what is a stay in Greece without some entertainment? Animateurs typically handle children on the property, so that the parents can have some time to relax. Alternatively, you could also be hired as part of the hotel’s entertainment team. These usually put on little shows and spectacles in the evening, to liven up the atmosphere. See Jobs for Animateurs
● Housekeepers - housekeeping is a great option if you’re looking for hotel jobs in Greece. It’s tiring work, but there’s always a need for skilled, dedicated housekeepers. Also, because of the work in shifts, you can work it around your other commitments.
● Receptionists - depending on the hotel, they may or may not ask that you have some previous experience or have graduated a related school or course before you can work at Reception. See Jobs for Receptionists
● Chefs - the reopening oh hotels in Greece is excellent news for trained chefs, as there won’t be a shortage of work over the next 4 or 5 months. Again, you may get hired in this field without previous experience, but will usually work as an aid. As with most fields of work, the more relevant experience you have as a chef, the better the position you’ll be offered. See Jobs for Chefs
Of course, there are many more job opportunities at hotels in Greece over the summer of 2021. Which one you land will depend on your preferences, related skills and experience, and so on. But the great news is, you can find hotel jobs in Greece, even if you’ve never worked in the hotel industry before!
But before then, why not cultivate some skills?
Of course, there’s no time to graduate from an actual college in the hotel industry, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take some affirmative action right now. Until May 14th rolls around, you can begin gathering some skills that may improve your chances of getting hired!
How can you do this?
Ideally, you could consider a training course, either online or in-person. It would be wise to go for an accredited course, since at the end of it, they can attest that you have acquired new skills. In turn, this can sway employers in the hotel industry.
What skills should you focus on?
The skills valued for hotel jobs in Greece are those considered important in pretty much any other field.
● Teamwork - regardless of what particular sector of the hotel industry interests you, the ability to cooperate and coordinate with teammates can make an important difference in your career.
● Leadership - some jobs in the hotel industry also require a certain level of leadership skills. For example, if you’re looking to work in Management, or occupy a position with more responsibility in your chosen field, your employer will look for leadership skills
● Adaptability - the hotel industry is a fun and exciting one, but it can also be a job and a half at times. This means you’ll be required to adapt and take on new roles as your job progresses.
● Social skills - at its core, the hotel industry is all about the people and the human interaction. Of course, some jobs will entail more socializing than others. For example, if you work as an animateur, you’ll come into a lot more contact with people than if you worked in another, more technical sector. Still, sociability and the ability to engage with others is highly valued in the hotel industry.
Where can you expect to work?
We talked about hotel jobs in Greece, but where exactly do we mean? Well, one of the many beauties of Greece is that pretty much every corner of the country has its unique appeal and charm. So where you work will depend on personal preference, but you could seek a job in one of the many charming Greek islands:
The list goes on and on and on. So what do you say, what’s your ideal place to work in Greece? Because as we’ve seen, hotel jobs in Greece will be plentiful, even after the crazy ride that has been 2021!